One Family...

One Family...
The Beauty of Each Being..The Power of Our Truth..The Wisdom of Our Experience..Sustain and Make Us Community...Margaret Parent

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Skunks!!!!

I wanted to do something a little less serious today as I've been very serious in the last couple of posts. And yes.. I chose to get to know Skunk! Why? Skunks have always been one of my least favorite animals..especially with regard to their scent!!! Realizing I was labeling and dismissing any positive views of Skunk.. I decided to learn more about him/her. What a nice surprise I got. First I found that Skunks are native to the Americas! I never knew that. I also found that,for some folks, Skunks make wonderful pets. There are, however, some states where it is against the law to have a Skunk as a pet. They are very loving, stubborn and determined. When it comes to food, they are very good at opening cabinet doors, especially, to the places where food is stored. They love to be held and can never seem to get enough affection. When they are treated roughly as young, they can become rough as they grow. At the same time, when they are handled with gentleness and care they respond in like manner. Skunks need time to get to know you and others in the family. They can become very attached to the point of not wanting anyone near except the primary care person, UNTIL, they get to know you. I found also, that they spray only when hurt or attacked. Skunk's traits and needs are very similar to the human members of our family. Why should that surprise me? This is not all there is to know about Skunk, but, what my little search taught me is this.. Don't judge me...dismiss me..label me..Get to know me!! How many in our Community of Life need just that. Don't judge me..Get to know me!

No comments:

Post a Comment