One Family...

One Family...
The Beauty of Each Being..The Power of Our Truth..The Wisdom of Our Experience..Sustain and Make Us Community...Margaret Parent

Monday, June 28, 2010

Nature's own Etch a Sketch and more!

When was the last time you wrote or drew something in sand at the beach and then waited to see how long it would take before a wave erased it? How quickly and easily sand captures the prints of all who walk on her! As quickly as the imprints are formed they are as easily erased. What fun to see the variety, shape, size and patterns within each print. What I was struck by in this picture, was how sun and sand worked together to cast a beautiful shadow reflection of plant's beauty. Making shadows on sand was another fun activity at the beach when I was a kid and even now as a big kid. When my sister and I were in Aruba a few years ago, one of my favorite pictures captured the the shadow of the two of us being reflected on sand just before sun went down as we walked on the beach. Another of sand's gifts that I am fascinated by are sands' many textures; from rough and course to smooth and soft. This should not surprise me when I realize that sand is created from rocks and stones over time. I just chuckled to myself as I thought.. ahhhhhh just like us all.. it takes time to leave behind our rough and course selves and grow into being smooth and soft! There are gifts in the aging process!! Thank you sand for giving us opportunities to develop our artistic talents, for the gift of shadows, for providing us with a visual mosaic in the prints of all who tread upon you. Thank you also to "the stone people" who give their lives into newness as they transform from hard solid rock to particles of sand. In order for sand to be rich and full, each and every particle contributes to bringing about that fullness! Whew.. when I began this reflection I was trying to keep it short and yet the story of sand just grew! Thank you sand, you have opened my eyes to more of your many gifts, and I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment